Saturday, October 22, 2016

Trip to Fredericksburg, Part 2

Tuesday (10/11)

After a good lie-in, I went to breakfast at the Old German Bakery in Fredericksburg. There, I discovered that a German pancake is thin, crispy on the edges, and takes up an entire platter! And I had ordered my usual two eggs, bacon, & OJ on top of that, so I was plenty full when I left.

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is 18 miles north of Fredericksburg and looked like a great place to walk around. If you look closely at the picture below, you can see tiny people waaaay up on the big pink granite dome. None of those people are or ever will be me, not in the foreseeable future, anyway.



I walked down the steps from the shelter above where the trails start and saw a path leading off to the left. So off I went.


This is on the path, looking back toward the steps.


My walk was silent except for birds, crickets, and my own footsteps. It was lovely. I even saw a cat, but he darted into the brush the second he spotted me







Here are the steps back up to the shelter.


View from the shelter; there are several informational signs describing the site.


Miniature sculpted map of Enchanted Rock with a star marking the location I’ve labeled. That’s where the shelter is. There’s a lotta rock beyond that spot.


After walking around a good long time, I drove back to Fredericksburg, got a fizzy drink, and drove around looky-loo’ing. This rather odd chainsaw sculpture stands between the courthouse and the library. I’m sure the artist fit the wings (and the smaller eagles they support) to the branches of the late, lamented tree.



The Pioneer Memorial Library was built in 1882 to replace the original courthouse. A new courthouse was built right next door in 1939 (you can sure tell it from the Art Deco lettering on the courthouse which, for some reason, I didn’t get a picture of). Here’s a little more info about the library: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredericksburg_Memorial_Library_(Texas).



After the library and some other poking around, I bought a snack and drove to Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park. I parked in the shade to eat and watched the planes take off at the small airport next door. Then I drove out to Wildseed Farms, a nursery, and saw this gorgeous field of flowers. No, I don’t know what kind they are. The pretty kind.


After I was done in for the day, I went back to my cottage to clean up, then drove back to Fredericksburg for dinner at Friedhelm’s Bavarian Inn, which I’d noticed driving in Monday. Seriously, how could you not notice this place?

Photo by Idawriter at http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11441545

It’s also a snazzy hotel, but way over my budget.

The restaurant was loaded with hunting trophies and liquor signs, and the waitresses were cute in their dirndls (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirndl). My roommate, the boar, followed me to dinner and brought some friends. This shot went on Facebook.


I had Bavarian schnitzel with spatzel, which came with salad, a little cup of some kind of clear soup with big chunks of tomatoes & other veggies, plus a small loaf of dark brown bread. It was all excellent & I ate myself into a stupor. Mama would be amazed at how many tomatoes I ate with my schnitzel, it was that good.

After dinner, I returned to my cottage and got my camera. I strolled up to the farthest cottages, then across meadow, and back to the fence where the elk congregate.



This dude kept a wary eye on me, but otherwise put up with my shutterbugging.


I loved the juxtaposition of the elk silhouettes and the old John Deere sign in the next photo. Yes, I am easily amused.


Wednesday (10/12), heading home

I had breakfast at the Old German Bakery again, this time going for half a waffle, eggs, and bacon. Still yummy.

I’d seen lots of buildings (including the library) composed of this white stone while driving around the previous evening, so I took these pix from the restaurant. According to various online sources, it’s native limestone. These buildings are both art galleries.



I didn’t get to see everything, of course, because I was there for a very limited time, but I sure enjoyed myself, and I’ll definitely go back.

No comments: