Monday, July 15, 2013

It helps to have a goal

Taking a brief break in the workday to say that my attitude is looking up a little. I now have A Goal, to wit: a driving vacation in New Mexico, all to myself, during the first full week of October. I've already scheduled it with my boss.

I didn't know it when I picked that week, but it happens to be the week of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, which I've been wanting to see for years! So I'm going to start off there and do balloony things for a day. Already got my tickets for the Balloon Fiesta itself and the Park-&-Ride bus to get there and back to my motel. And the motel's reserved, too. I'm really looking forward to it!

I hope to take lots of balloony and other pix during my vacation, to which end I decided it was time to graduate from my boring little point-&-shoot camera to an entry-level DSLR (digital single-lens reflex)--a real camera, something that would give me more creative control. After some research, I decided on a reconditioned Nikon D3100 that I found on eBay. The auction included a whole package of stuff: the camera body itself (of course), three lenses, lens hood, filters, cleaning stuff, good quality bag, a taller tripod than the one I already had, battery charger, memory card...just swarms of stuff, some of which I haven't even identified yet.

As usual when I set about learning something new, I got a book on the subject. I'm currently reading through a fat book on DSLR photography, fiddling with the camera as I learn.

Another thing I'm doing to prepare for my driving/shutterbug vacation is walk. Get Off Your Asterisk And Walk. I don't want to die of a heart attack while climbing around hills and poking through woods in search of photographic opportunities--that would definitely ruin my whole week. So I have to get into better shape. Hence, walking around the 'hood on the weekends (just Sunday so far--we always seem to be busy on Saturdays) and a renewed attack on the three stories of my office building each weekday.

And I've all but given up soda--anything containing high-fructose corn syrup, really.

Exercise is not my favorite thing, but as I said, I now have A Goal--a good and legitimate reason for doing it. If I exercise, I can take off on driving/shutterbug trips like this and be reasonably sure I'll live through it.

Anyway, back to work.

No comments: