Sunday, January 9, 2011

Please do not feed the fat lady

I scared myself the other night--got on the bathroom scale for the first time in months and the dial landed on a number with two big fat zeros in it! (And the first number ain't a one!) Never in my life have I been this enormous--it's completely ridiculous. Granted, it was at the end of the day and I had just eaten supper, but my supper wasn't that big. The next morning, I weighed again and dodged the Big Fat Zeros by about five pounds, but that's not much better. Time to get off my Big Fat Zeros and fix this mess I've made of myself.

I bought a recumbent exercise bike a few years ago, but quit using it after a while because it was hard on my tailbone. So why did I move the bloody thing when we bought the new house? Well, I hoped I'd get back to it. Never did, of course. Anyway, now I'm going to sell it and get a treadmill instead. There's no earthly reason I can't walk for 30 minutes every evening while watching TV.

Sister A. still has the upright exercycle I passed onto her (before the recumbent--I've tried a lot of different things), and we're both sick of ourselves, so hopefully we've reached our limit of tolerance for our own girth and will get active again.

We'll also have to knock off the Hershey's we've been getting into waaay too often. That's a lot harder than walking or cycling regularly!

7 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Little things...I quit having a rum cocktail every evening back in September and I've lost 4 pounds...just from one lousy drink! One small thing at a time and you will succeed.
Trish

TK and Squashies said...

I feels your pain. The holiday, and my sweet tooth, have not been kind.

Thumper said...

I, too, feel your pain. I've been fighting my weight for so long it seem surreal. I lost 50 back in 2009, and nothing since then, even though my diet is fine and I was training for that 60 mile walk. To add insult to injury, after screwing up my shoulder and back last month and not being able to move much, I piled on 15 pounds without even trying. well, except for that one pie... I came by 5 pounds of it honestly ;)

Now that things are starting to hurt less, I can get back to moving around and playing whit my spiffy outside toys. And if that doesn't help, tons of whining will commence...

sunflowerlady said...

I want your recumbant bike!! I've been thinking of getting one but am too cheap to buy new. Email it to me, please!
Diane

las794 said...

LOL--that might be a wee bit difficult! Darn it, where's a "Star Trek" transporter when you need one?

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Just concentrate on one or two things at a time. I bumped up the exercise and really watched fat intake.
I was made to feel like a cow at a party one spring day a year & a half ago and I've now lost 40 pounds. Too bad I was made to feel ugly to do it, but that's what motivated me.
I still choke up when I tell of that day. I sound like a teenager but I'm 50 years old.
You have a soul sister in me. You can do this!

las794 said...

Wow, major kudos to you!