Sunday, August 1, 2010

Roses, curtains, den stuff, and hard work

Yep, still alive here--I've been working like a maniac over the last two weeks trying to finish a project by deadline and have had no time for anything but work, meals, and sleep. But I finally put paid to that sucker Saturday afternoon. Man, I was glad to get that over with! Surprisingly, I didn't rack up that much overtime, but I worked twice as hard as usual during every hour I put in on this project. At the end of yesterday's stint, I was completely done in; I went to bed at 7pm last night and was asleep an hour later!

While I was wrapped up in that crazy project, Sister A. finished the first set of curtains for our new house. These go in the sewing room; they're happy little brown & green leaves on a pale yellow background, which goes great with the Behr Whisper Yellow walls. Here are two views of same (one turned out kinda dark).

She also added shelving to the sewing room closets, to have room for all her tons of quilting fabrics. The closet shown below doesn't have much on its shelves yet, but only because Sammi had to inspect A's workmanship first. Notice that she has her yardstick at the ready.

Working where I do has its advantages, namely the fact that I have a window which looks out on a courtyard full of roses, trees, and other greenery. The roses have been in fine form lately, and I took a few minutes yesterday to take some photos. Here are a few goodies:

I tried out the macro and supermacro settings on my camera for those close-ups; I think they turned out pretty well. There are a few more pix on my Flickr site.

Back on the home-improvement front, Friday evening (I think--maybe it was yesterday--I was reeeeally tired) my 17-year-old Magnavox TV abruptly decided to give up the ghost. I had virtuously held onto it back during the switch from analog to digital TV signals, because it was still working fine, even though some channels had begun to broadcast in widescreen instead of the old square format. Nova had become merely va, and credits on a few other channels displayed only half-names for the cast. So, even though the timing could have been better, I didn't really mind buying a new TV this morning (although they're hideously more expensive than analog TVs used to be!). Of course, I didn't have to go all the way up to 42", but, see, I've got this great big den now and, well, y'know.... Anyway, the picture is great and it's a much better size for the room.  :)

Notice my devoted kitty guarding the new boob tube (lower right of the photo).

Two or three days ago, we received a pair of end tables--telephone stands, really--that I'd ordered early in July, and after setting up the TV this morning, I put the tables together. Here they are flanking my couch.

Yeah, they're small, but I'm working with limited space around the couch, and they'll hold all the necessaries. Try to ignore the black-garbage-bag curtains in the background--we're still waiting for the new French doors to arrive.

Last but not least, here's Minnie from a cat's-eye view, obviously telling me to get the flashy box out of her face.

OK, Minnie, you can go back to sleep now.  :)


Thumper said...

Of course you had to go up to 42" on the TV. Just...because! I totally get that...

Minnie looks a little homicidal, BTW...ya might wanna sleep with an eye open tonight.

AttieCattie said...

we kittehs love to guard the tv. it's part of our job you know. we all does it.

las794 said...

Absolutely! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that she's right in the path of the fan. :D