Thursday, June 17, 2010

Kitty noise pollution solution

I am reliably informed by a mother (not mine) that ignoring a kid throwing a tantrum will short-circuit it. Danged if it don't work with cats, too! These past two nights, I've refrained from reacting when Minnie lets loose with her high-volume yowling in the most echo-ey part of the house, and in a fairly short time, she quits, having gotten the clue that I'm not going to get up and let her outside. At least, that's the way I'm interpreting it. I've also put a window-height cat tree in my bedroom and left my metal blinds open far enough for Minnie to get up and walk around on the window sill (which is 4-5 inches wide, plenty for a cat to sit and observe the world outside)--that has helped, too, I think. She has even condescended to get up on the bed and sleep with me (for a while, anyway). So things are improving.

We're no longer locking the cats in our bedrooms with us at night; that stopped working on my kitty after just a few nights, and Sammi, A's kitty, really seems quite at home. She's more "mellow" than Minnie.

5 comments:

AttieCattie said...

wowee, it sure sounds like Minnie is having a hard time. i has to say, i never hadded that problem. i just tend to adjust. i hopes she starts to feel better realleh soon.

las794 said...

Yeah, the new "sister" and the move, coming right together, have sure unsettled Minnie's little world. I'm glad you and Baby Audrey are getting along better than my two kitties!

AttieCattie said...

haha i did hate BA when she first gotted here. that realleh was hard to get used to, so i unnerstands how it is over there. but my mommeh and i have lived in two different places together, plus the time she broughted me home from The Bad Place, and i never had a problem wif moving to a new housie. i think it is exciting, and i go exploring as soon as i gets there. i am sorreh Minnie does not feel the same way. i hopes she will come around. have you tried the Calming Collar?

las794 said...

No, hadn't heard of it. But I've tried Rescue Remedy (herbal drops) and a Feliway diffuser, and neither of those appear to have any effect on her.

AttieCattie said...

neither of those halped me eiver, and my mommeh said they's crox. the calming collar halped though, you can buy it at petco or places like that. smells lavendarey.