Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Housing update

  • We're an inch from closing on the new house, but we're at the mercy of whoever in the Faceless Bureaucracy has our closing info/papers right now. We and our realtor are trying to hurry things along because....

  • We got an offer on my house! Cash offer from a landlord who buys houses to rent out (which is the way I always expected my little house to go, when the time came; my neighborhood is almost entirely rent houses now).

  • Since it's a cash offer, that means we have to hustle our buns out of the old house soon, but since we haven't actually closed on the new house yet, we're kinda stuck. Sister A. and our realtor are going to try and either buy us some time so we can close on the new house and get it painted and the bathrooms fixed up before we move in or arrange to rent my soon-to-be-former house for about two weeks until we can move. It's all rather complicated and a bit over my head, but A's an old hand at this house buying/selling stuff.

  • The seller of our new house has agreed to let us store some stuff in the garage there until we can move in (the wife doesn't live there anymore, and the husband will be away over the weekend at least). So we're off to Memphis, TX, Friday to load up A's furniture, etc., into a U-Haul and bring it back here.

  • That idea about renting my old house for two weeks came right on the heels of a weird dream I had: I had sold my house to some landlord type so I could get out of paying for maintenance anymore, and he proceeded to trash the place and evict me! So you can imagine how freaked I was to learn that, indeed, we might be renting my house from its new owner for a while! I'm hoping he (the real landlord who's buying my house, not the mean one from my dream) will just agree to put off the transfer of ownership for a couple of weeks while we finish up with the new house. He just had surgery on his elbow, after all--can't very well work on a new rent house until he heals up.

  • At some point in that same dream, my car was filled with packing peanuts right up to the bottom of the windows.

  • My brain is weird sometimes.

1 comment:

Thumper said...

Rent-back is pretty common...it's a decent way to cover the bases when everything doesn't line up the way you want it to. Hopefully it won't take long to get the closing on your new house accomplished...we walked away from the house we really wanted because there were title issues, but if we'd been able to stay in the house we were at, we could have had exactly what we wanted...

It sucks when things don't line up...