Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Creakin' Back Blues

Yesterday, I put my back out while picking up...no, not a huge, gold-filled safe. Just Minnie's scratching post, which might weigh all of five pounds. It's not necessarily the weight, I guess, so much as the position I was in at the time (which was nothing all that unusual, but there y'are). I was running around the house, taking pictures of our clean, decluttered space to send to the realtor (since he never got around to taking good pix himself and still has those messy, cluttered pix he took originally up on our listing). I started to shoot the dining room, realized the cat furniture was in the frame, moved the cat tree, went back to move the scratching post, and *POP* went something in my back and down I went like a sack of potatoes. Thank goodness I'd set the camera on the dining table beforehand, so I didn't drop it. I moaned and swore and carefully got flat on the floor while Sister A. went to get me some ibuprofen and other friendly chemical aids, then I gradually got on my feet again. That was really bad timing, as we had errands planned for the day. But I managed it, by gum! The only thing I missed yesterday was a concert of world music in the evening--I just couldn't manage to sit still that long.

We returned our fabric samples to JoAnn's and picked out a couple more (for the sewing room and my bedroom). We also agonized for a while over whether to go ahead and order all the fabric, instead of waiting until we actually close on the house. Yesterday was the last day of their 50% sale, and we had picked out some rather pricey fabrics, and we just couldn't justify paying full price.... Anyway, we went ahead and ordered fabric for all the drapes in the house. We will be moving into A house somewhere, and these are the colors we'll be using. And we really don't think there'll be anything to prevent our closing on the house. The only problem might be if the upcoming appraisal of the new house is less than the loan we need to buy it, because the bank will only loan us what the house is worth. But we think it'll pass muster.

After the fabrics were taken care of, we returned some stuff to Home Depot (we decided to go a slightly different way with the faucets and other bathroom hardware and ordered that online). We also picked up some other goodies and checked out some things that will have to be custom-ordered and so can't be dealt with until after closing. My back wasn't too bad, but I was ready to "get flat" by the time we were done.

No more work or errands today onnaccounta I'm busted.

BTW, just in case you're in the market for a nice little 2-bed, 1-bath house near a university, you can check out the pix on my Flickr site and the listing at Century 21.  :)

6 comments:

Thumper said...

Ouch.

If it makes you feel better, I once threw mine out reaching for the mouse on my desk. It took a couple of weeks and a couple of chiropractic visits to get everything back in place...

At least you actually picked something up!

las794 said...

LOL! It's so aggravating to hurt yourself over nothing! :D

AttieCattie said...

sigh. i wish we could buy your house. we love your listing. it's the perfect house for us - me, my mommeh, and Audrey. and we can not believe the asking price. around here houses are $500,000 and up, and sometimes they are not even NICE houses at all. needless to say, we do not have a house. we are stuck together in a studio rental! i will try to convince my mommeh to move to Texas and take your house instead of wasting so much munnies here on LI. stoopid LI prices. trying to hang on to munnies in NY just does not work.

las794 said...

NY prices are *brutal*!

AttieCattie said...

yes, it really is hard to live here. my mommeh works SO much, and she barely has the munnies to spoil me. i mean us. eh, but mostly me. two jobs is not enough here in NY. how is your back?

las794 said...

It's getting better, if slowly. I doubt if I'll be tip-top for First Move Day, so we'll have to enlist a strongback or two to help us.