Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"We wuz robbed!"

Really--no kidding. Some asswipe broke into my house while I was at work yesterday and rifled the place. When I got home, Minnie was outside; I was sure I remembered leaving her inside the house, but maybe I was forgetful....Then I went into the house and there were cabinets open that I never leave open...and I knew even before I saw the sliding glass back door left wide open that my computer was gone. DAMN IT!

Drawers and cabinet doors all over the house were standing ajar where the thief had looked for valuables. Fortunately, I don't have that much expensive stuff, but he did get my computer, a netbook I've had for all of a month, two modems, my digital camera, the cords & chargers that go with all that stuff, and two flash drives (all my memory backup, in other words). And lest we think him all about electronics, he also took the cover off my sewing machine, a pillowcase, and a large red duffle bag to put all the other stuff in, as well as a little butter tub full of pennies, my wee collection of coins, and a $2 bill.

I sincerely hope Minnie pooped on the burglar's shoes, but she was more likely hiding under the furnace.  >:-(  But she's OK and thank goodness for that.

Ready for the weird part? The police found some of my stuff before I even called in to report the burglary! I was describing to the officer what all was taken and came to the part about the red duffle and the cop finished,"Yep, in a red duffle bag." Apparently, a neighbor woman had looked out at the alley because her dogs were barking their heads off and she saw a suspicious person near a dumpster; plus the police have been following some rotten little high-schooler they suspected of various burglaries. Turns out the little creep put the duffle bag with my stuff in the dumpster to come back and pick up later--the cops said burglars do that a lot. Yeah, I wouldn't want to inconvenience them with the weight of my goods or anything....

So the cops got my stuff out of the dumpster and checked it into the property room, and then later comes my call about the burglary, and the same cop comes to take my statement. I was floored when he told me they already found my stuff!

He said I could go to the property room this morning to identify and pick up my stuff, but the guy there said they had to get the reporting officer to verify that Report A (stolen goods) corresponds to Report B (person from whom said goods were stolen), and the officer is already gone for the T-Day holiday. So I have to wait until Monday to find out what the stupid thief left me.

It's a good thing I didn't run out and drop a bunch of cash on a big new flat-screen TV when everybody else did, because that'd be gone, too.

Anyway, the officer and the property guy both said my main computer was among the things found, so I count myself very lucky. I won't bother filing an insurance claim on the rest; I'm sure my deductible is much higher than the value of what's still missing.

Helluva day.

7 comments:

T said...

Well geez!! I go missing for a few days, and look at all what has been happening in your corner of the world.

The robbery, ugh!! Glad they found some of your stuff, and glad you are ok and so is Minnie, but very scary and nerve racking, non-theless. You are the 3rd person just today that I know that just mentioned being robbed. I am so very sorry.

Yella dog, oh my goodness. I do hope he is ok. Don't ever feel bad about calling animal control. you gotta do what you gotta do. Better them him trying to survive on the streets, as heartbreaking as it is. I do thank you for trying to care for him the best you can.

I am so sorry about Leo, maybe he will still show up. It is so hard always worrying about these guys isn't it?!

I hop you have a nice Thanksgiving!!

T said...

UGH, sorry about all the misspellings!!

Daisy said...

I am sorry you were robbed! I sure hope they catch the MEAN and BAD person who did that.

Thumper said...

Oh man, that really sucks. Getting the computers stolen is one of my main worries...I don't store important passwords on them, but still...

I hope you get all your stuff back, and in working condition. And *really* glad Minnie wasn't hurt and didn't bolt...

Cat with a Garden said...

What a horrible experience, we're so sorry to hear this. It sounds as if it didn't turn out for the worst though. We too hope they get that thief!!!

las794 said...

No, I got very lucky--'tis the season for thanksgiving, and I sure am thankful. Y'know what really gripes me about the break-in? The guy pried his way in with a pair of grass clippers from my very own garage, which he then left on the dining table near the back door as if to say, "What a clever boy I am!" Grrr....

Fin said...

Well that sucks, and it's also pretty cool that most of the things are found. Glad you are all safe!