Friday, November 20, 2009

Spoke too soon

OK, the neighbor guys have not adopted Yella Dog, so one of them told me, despite the fact that I saw the dog in their backyard twice last week. So that guy's a big liar, and Yella Dog is still homeless. And now Leo, my feral cat, is missing--haven't seen him all day. And Yella Dog isn't being fed by people. I'm a little worried about Leo now.

I had to be gone for several days, so today's the first I knew of Yella Dog's status since my last blog entry. I saw him early this afternoon, still as friendly as ever, but now his right rear foot is hurt somehow--I couldn't see what the problem was, but he was limping a bit--and he was very hungry. I had just brought home a salad and I gave him all the chicken off it; he hosed it down in the time it took me to fetch a bowl of water for him. I had nothing else but cat food, so I brought him a cup of that, and by the time I got it out there, the entire bowl of water was gone! So I brought more water. I wanted to keep him in my carport so that Animal Control could find him easily. Yes, I called Animal Control--I just didn't know what else to do for him.

By the time the Animal Control officer got here (quite soon after I called), Yella Dog had vanished, of course. The officer said he'd drive around the area looking for him. I haven't heard back, so I don't know if they found him. Poor dog.... He is a handful, but he just needs attention & training & space to run. And food--lots of food. I'm afraid he won't ever get that chance, though.

And, no, I cannot keep a dog. My yard belongs to the feral cats, and I don't know the first thing about dogs except that you have to walk them in all kinds of weather.

No comments: