Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sewing project complete

Gotta say, I like my beginner sewing machine a LOT better than the big, bad version I had to use in high school. My first sewing project, adjusting my Halloween costume (won't tell ya what or how yet), is complete and turned out pretty well. It also went a helluva lot faster than if I'd tried to hand-sew the thing. However....

Note to beginning seamstresses (and seamsters?): Do not choose something with gathers (e.g., a ruffle) as your first project, especially if you're pressed for time. I managed it, but, sheesh, it took half a day--half of a long day--to figure it out and get it done! I have some beginning-sewing books coming and I'll be interested to see if my solution matches their instructions.

One dumb mistake I kept making was forgetting to set the presser foot down before I started sewing--DOH! Oddly enough, you don't accomplish much when you do that.... And, as I discovered to my dismay, it's possible to get the thread tangled up in all the mechanical bits inside the machine when you do it, because the tension isn't right. I think I'm over that particular mistake now.

Oh, and working on a voluminous garment with a curious cat in the house is a real interesting proposition:

"No, Minnie, you can't be up there."
"Minnie, don't sit on the pins!"
"Minnie, stop, that's not a toy."
"Watch out for the needle, Minnie."
Pick up the cat, put her on the bed instead of my fabric.
Stuff the leftover bits of thread way down in the trash so Minnie doesn't eat them.
Pick up the cat, put her on her scratching post instead of my ironing board.
Bribe the cat out of the sewing room with treats....

Oy. Fortunately, the weather was gorgeous and cool this weekend--Minnie's favorite--so she spent a lot of time outside (her preference--she's an indoor/outdoor kitty).

On another kitty subject, I met my regular cat-sitter's helper this evening; she'll be taking over for my "main gal", the Critter Nanny, for a few days while Nanny's out of town herself. Imagine--after two or three years, she thinks she needs a vacation! The nerve!  :D  Minnie was a little nervous with the helper at first, but got over it--especially when treats were produced. Anyway, she's very nice and seems quite responsible, so I won't worry (too much) during those few days.

5 comments:

T said...

I'm just catching up, but kudo's to you for sewing your own costume.
I have a sewing machine, and I use it only for repairs, and such.

I am from a family of seamstresses, dating back from my great grandmother, all the way down to my mom and all my cousins. I am the only one that never enjoyed sewing or working in my grandmothers drapery shop. Go figure!

Can't wait to find out what your costume is, are you going to post photos? (hint, Hint)

las794 said...

Of course! I'll get someone to take decent pix at our Halloween party Friday. (I took some myself, but I was shooting into a mirror and had to use ambient light, which made the pix grainy and generally stinko.)

I don't want to build up anticipation overmuch--the costume is really no biggie. But it turned out well and it was a fun reason to start learning to use a sewing machine. :)

Ramblings of a Villas Girl said...

Good for you. Can't wait to see the finished product. In your comment to 'T', you said, "the costume is really no biggie." I disagree. Anything homemade and with the trial and errors you had, oh and let's not forget about Minnie, is a biggie.
Speaking of Minnie. I had to laugh. I can picture this happening. Now my lovely fur kid waits until the middle of the night when I'm sound asleep. Then she lays across my neck, licking my chin. Once I'm awake, her mission is complete. Cats. Can't live with them. Can't live without them.
Anyway, enjoy your party Friday. Lisa

las794 said...

> mission is complete...
LOL!

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Don'cha just love all the help you get from the kitty!!!