Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy Halloween!

Here's my costume--a Pioneer woman! I got the bonnet from a lady on eBay who makes them for re-enactors, the dress from my favorite fat-lady store, the apron from my sister (who made it herself), and the boots online for a clearance price. I added the extra ruffle on the bottom of the dress to make it long enough to reflect pioneer days--that was my first sewing-machine project. I also tucked in the wing collar and fixed it in place with a few tiny stitches so it would look more like a banded collar--again, more appropriate to the time. All in all, I think it turned out pretty well, and I got a lot of compliments on it. We had a costume contest at the office party (for the few of us who dressed up), so who knows--maybe I'll win! (I voted for myself. Is that crass? Too bad!)

Note the long apron strings. I discovered that if you don't tuck those apron strings into an apron pocket when you go to the bathroom, they might get dipped where you don't want 'em dipped. Nuff said.

Below are a couple more pictures. By the way, I have no idea who that fat lady in my dress is. An interloper, I would guess. Surely, she'll return my formerly svelte self one of these days.

   

2 comments:

Cat with a Garden said...

Happy Halloween! That's a superb costume, pawsome job! And thank you for the advice on the apron strings...

T said...

This turned out really great!!

Pretty creative how you ended up with all the right pieces to complete the look.

I really love the boots, I think those finished the look.

I would have voted for me too! I learned a long time ago, in a contest when I voted for someone other then me, and it was my vote that made me lose the contest! You know most everyone votes for themselves, I don't care what they say.

Thanks for sharing the photos.:)

Happy Halloween.