Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reefer madness

I have a very healthy pot tree right outside my office window. See the leaf? OK, it's not really a pot tree--it's something called a vitex. Interestingly, one of its common names is hemp tree, but I am assured that its leaves have no hallucinogenic properties. Darn.  :)  Well, at least it's pretty. The smaller pic below the big leaf shows a full grown tree (ours are still quite young) and the "cone" of purple flowers it sprouts all over.

In the same courtyard with the pot tree, there are cat mint plants like the one below, which also has purple flower "cones". Oddly enough, I've yet to see a single cat hanging around them. Plenty of jackrabbits, but no cats. Such a waste!

4 comments:

Cat with a garden said...

As Gardening Cats we love blue flowers. We've never heard of that tree, it looks stunning. The real catmint is Nepeta cataria. The one in the picture is commonly called catmint too, but might be Nepeta faassenii, to which cats indeed show no reaction at all. The catmint we like is not so showy flowerwise and we think it blooms white... We should ne able to investigate further, as we are gowing to grow our own!
Purrs, Siena & Chilli

las794 said...

Ah! That explains the total lack of cats! I look forward to seeing pix of your catmint. :)

Fin said...

Hi! So nice to meet you, glad you stopped by my place. Come back anytime.

Kaze, Latte, & Chase said...

Hello! Thanks for stopping by and singing my praises. I am a big time purrer and lover :).

Kaze