Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Freckles and whiskers

I noticed yesterday that my orange boy, Leo, has a lot more black whiskers than he used to. More black freckles on his nose, too. Maybe the new black whiskers are growing out of black freckles in his muzzle (or whatever you call the whiskery part of a cat's face). It's strange to see so many black whiskers on an orange-&-white face. I'll try to get a photo of Leo's face...if he'll sit still long enough!

I read a brief reference to black "age" spots this morning (in Dewey), but surely that's not what those freckles are. Leo's only about 4.5 years old.

4 comments:

Daisy said...

I heard those freckles are pretty common on orange cats and will increase with time. I think they are real cute!

dlmaddox said...

You know...as I get older, I've noticed more freckles and whiskers myself!

Cat with a garden said...

Oh, that's interesting! Our mom met a handsome orange cat called Samir and he had one black whisker. It would be interesting to know if they increase with him too!
Purrs!

CCL Wendy said...

Apparently, these black spots are pigments spots to which ginger kitties are prone. My Dante has some on his nose, too and around his mouth. They are age-related, but they don't have to be old to get them. Dante started to get some around age 5. Nothing to worry about.