Sunday, February 22, 2009

Eye-opener

Just finished balancing my checkbook and updating my February budget and made an astonishing discovery--I'm not in the hole! I've got $37 left for groceries for this last week of the month, which is plenty for me. That hasn't happened in ages!

I checked my current bank statement and discovered the reason for this fine state of affairs: when I started my diet, I cut way back on meals out. During this statement period, I went out 4 times. The previous month, it was 12 times. The month before that, it was 9--including a whole pizza, which is twice as bad. And that's only the charges on my debit card; it doesn't include whatever I may have spent in cash.

Since my "big" meal of the day is at lunch now and I take that to work with me, there's no question at the end of the day about what I'm having for supper--it's always a Special K protein bar and fruit. No longer do I have that daily internal struggle about whether or not to swing by Wendy's or wherever after work for a naughty fast-food meal because I "deserve" it and I'm so tired and blah blah rationalizing blah.

I thought surely I would be spending way more than usual on groceries now that I'm buying lots of fruits & veggies & special diet food--and I am. But cutting down so much on meals out sure makes up the difference!

Who knew that when I went on a diet food-wise, I was also going on a diet money-wise? Neat discovery....

On a related health note, I no longer look 5 months pregnant--just 4 months.  :D

2 comments:

Lux said...

I really hate that diet word, but I'm glad to hear your budget is doing so well! ;-)

Cat with a garden said...

Oh, that is such great news! It is paying off what you've been doing...