Friday, January 16, 2009

Stumpy's "Gotcha" Day

What an adventurous morning I've had! Stumpy, one of my ferals, turned up at breakfast limping on a bloody paw. Since he's so friendly, I first just let him into the house and then tried to push him into Minnie's regular carrier. No dice--Stumpy turned into a hissing ball of fur and slithered out of my grasp. With that bad paw, though, he couldn't go too far. So I got one of my humane traps, baited it with good ol' stinky meat, and slowly coaxed him into the trap. BOOM, gotcha!

Here's a pic of Stumpy hating me totally, and a closeup of his poor little paw. (Click to biggify.) Yeah, he's a feral, not my pet, but I take care of him otherwise (food, water, a safe yard to lounge in). I'm not exactly Daddy Warbucks, but I couldn't let Stumpy suffer with that mangled paw. What's another month of debt....

His beautiful white feet are usually clean as new snow, but he's messed up today, poor thing. I took him to my vet for treatment, neutering, a rabies shot, and tests for FeLk, etc. He's in for a no-fun day, but he'll be much improved afterward. I'll be picking him up later this afternoon, and I'll post an update on his condition.

5 comments:

Daisy said...

Poor Stumpy! Thank you so much for taking such good care of him.

Alley said...

My compassionate sister! Sammi sends head butts. :)

Cat with a garden said...

Wow, good job! We too thank you for caring so much for Stumpy. That wound looks bad and who knows what would have been of him if you hadn't trapped him... He's one lucky guy (although he might not think so himself right now).
Purrs!

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Bless your heart for being such a good friend to him.. Hope his little paw is going to be ok.

Everycat said...

Oooh that looks sore!