Thursday, January 22, 2009

Keep a close eye on your credit card charges!

What a scare I had yesterday! I got a message on my answering machine from my credit card holder's fraud department, couldn't follow up sufficiently through their phone robot, so I got online instead--and discovered several big charges on my credit card that I hadn't made! EEEK! Needless to say, I hopped on the phone to the credit card company immediately and got hold of a real person to tell my troubles to. It's OK now--she said I won't be liable for those charges and, of course, my card will be cancelled and replaced. I also signed up for identify theft watch--cheap insurance, in my rattled opinion. I'm sure I'll remain a little nervous about this until I get documented proof that, yes, my credit is OK and those fraudulent charges are gone.

4 comments:

Cat with a garden said...

Urgh, that's a nightmare you hear about but never think it is going to happen to you. Well, it does! Glad, you found out! Phew!

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Our credit card # got stolen twice. Both times the CC company called to alert us. With the first incident, the thief made big electronics purchases then bought plane tickets & was across the country the next day.

las794 said...

Grrr, how aggravating!

Daisy said...

Daisy's mom here:
The same thing happened to us! It was around Christmas, and my husband was looking at the on-line credit card statement and asked if a certain large charge was from me (in case it was a secret Christmas present or something). Neither of us recognized the charge or vendor, and when we called the vendor, they said they had already flagged the purchase as possibly fraudulent. Of course we immediately canceled the credit card and had a new one delivered via next-day mail.