Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to work, plus books

I love my job, not least because I get two weeks (or nearly that) off from it for Christmas and New Year's every year. But, man, is it hard to go back to work after all that lovely off-time! Getting up at 6 a.m. again blows industrial-grade chunks.

I did a lot of reading while I was off work, of course. First is The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama, our soon-to-be new prez. It's very interesting and makes me alternately hopeful that such improvements could come to pass and wistful that they may be just pipe-dreams. I don't know which to believe yet; probably a mixture of both. Anyway, still working on that book.

On the entertainment side, I'm currently reading Bones by Jonathan Kellerman, one of my favorite mystery writers, and Helen Hath No Fury by Gillian Roberts, also a mystery. Roberts is a new author for me; this is part of her Amanda Pepper series. Good stuff--I'll have to dig up the rest of the series!

I also re-read some short stories and bits of older books. Nothing like revisiting old friends now & then.  :)

3 comments:

Cat with a garden said...

Minnie, do you get to be curled up on her lap while your mom is reading? Okay then... We already feared that you don't get enough momma-time. ; )
Purrs, Siena & Chilli

las794 said...

Oh, yes, Minnie gets lots of mom-time. How could she not? She's irresistable! :)

Minnie likes to curl up with me on the couch while I'm reading, because I'll invariably doze off at some point. Then she can creep up from my feet to nap on my chest. So cute....

Everycat said...

You are so right about books and short stories being old friends.

Getting back to work gets easier, but each year it seems to take longer to get easier. Pft!