Saturday, December 20, 2008

Nigerian scam redux

I just received an interesting e-mail from the Federal Bureau of Investigation--that's the Effa-Bee-Eye, folks--taking a loving interest in my "illegal transaction" with some Nigerian scammer and offering to send me an ATM card full of bucks as soon as I pay a fee of my real bucks, yada yada yada, for what reason I can't tell--just because the FBI thinks so highly of me, apparently.

This is the stupidest thing I ever heard of--even more stupid than the Nigerian scam itself. What idiot would believe this line of bull? No one, I sincerely hope. But just in case you've received such a message and wondered "What's it all about, Alfie?", here's the lowdown from Snopes.

Honestly, there are some real egomaniacs out there who apparently believe people will buy anything if you just wave the possibility of free money under their noses, no matter how illogical.

2 comments:

seybernetx said...

It's like any other sales job. You pitch enough people, someone will respond. After that, all they have to do is reel in the fool. With the internet, they can cover huge new pools of suckers.

After all, people still fall for the Pigeon Drop.

My only hope is that most of the people responding are scam-baiters.

las794 said...

There is no end to stupid people. I never heard of scam-baiting before; HA, what fun!