Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Facebook is for...what now?

OK, so I'm the last adult on the planet to sign up on Facebook, and I'm still not entirely sure what the attraction is, other than having yet another place to put one's profile. But I wanted to sign up as a "fan" of the Pickens Plan, so there I am, among the hip folks, with only the tiniest clue as to what I'm doing there.

Well, I'm a late bloomer when it comes to technology (which will strike a lot of those who know me as a weird statement, since I'm the one they come to for computer help). When I was much younger, I spent six months observing other people using a CompuGraphic typesetting machine before beginning to learn it myself; and by the end of my years in small newspapers, I was using ALL the typesetting machines with ease. I piddled around in a limited way with someone else's Macintosh long before buying one myself; and later on I was considered the "Mac guru". I held off switching to a PC (for compatibility with my work docs) for years before finally taking the plunge because I wasn't quite sure I could manage MS Windows' inner workings by myself (I can); and now I'm the MS Word guru and called on to help people with many other PC functions, as well.

I had a cellphone briefly, but found I only rarely had a use for it (emergency calls for a tow truck, for instance), so I dropped it. And I have no desire to own any form of PDF, including the Crackberry.

On the other hand, I LUST after the Amazon Kindle.  :D   But I'm a voracious reader, so that's understandable.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll figure out some use for Facebook other than displaying my few little causes and periodically annoying my one friend.  :)

No comments: