Saturday, November 22, 2008

Another spraying incident

If a female cat sprays once, it might be a fluke--some territorial thing that can be overlooked because she did it outside. If it happens again--this time inside--that could mean trouble.

Yesterday, I had some repairmen in the house and Minnie was just going apeshit, totally freaked out and running all over the place looking for escape or a hiding place or something. She did zip outside once when a repairman went out to look at something, but she stopped dead in her tracks because there was a truck and a bunch of guys doing noisy things in the alley. She was caught between a rock and a hard place! She reluctantly went back into the house and resumed running hither & yon.

Sometime after the repairmen left and I went off to work (so I could pay for said repairmen), Minnie sprayed a bag of (non-smelly) trash I'd left in the kitchen to take out later. And I didn't discover it until this afternoon, when I finally got around to dealing with the trash. I'd wondered why she was sniffing the kitchen floor so intently last night.

It gives me the heebie-jeebies to think I tracked through cat pee in the kitchen and maybe trailed it all through the house. *shudder* Needless to say, I mopped the kitchen thoroughly today after I got that trash bag out...and the rug next to it, which scored an indirect hit. The rest of the house, I'm not going to think about. I don't smell any cat pee, anyway.

OK, so now I have a new cat rule: When Minnie gets so extremely freaked out like that, PUT HER OUTSIDE, at least until the "danger" is past and she's maybe done her spraying on the fence. Because, apparently, spraying is her new I'm-totally-unhinged-with-fright reaction.

It really makes me wonder what I'm going to do with her next March or April when Bro-in-law & Sis & I start demolishing my bathroom to remodel it.

4 comments:

Lux said...

Minnie must've been so scared. My sister Ninna is like that, but she always runs into the bedroom to hide (no one who visits ever knows she exists). We've tried Feliway in the past, and it *might have helped; we're not sure.

A safe hiding place is essential, though.

Also, when there are accidents around here (Ninna's), Mom uses that Nature's Miracle or some such product to get rid of the urine smell that kitties can smell when beans can't.

las794 said...

Minnie used to run & hide behind the couch, then switched her preference to hiding under the furnace...which, unfortunately for her, was right where the repairmen were banging around! Guess she forgot about the couch hidey-hole in the interim.

I'll try that Nature's Miracle--thanks!

Lux said...

Best wishes! :)

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Natures Miracle is great!
We've just had our house re-shingled & re-sided and Shaggy & Scout have been hiding in the basement. Scooby is the brave one who stays upstairs with me!