Friday, July 4, 2008

Missions accomplished

Mission #1
Well, we got 'em married off! Everybody was happy and the whole thing went off without a hitch--although the bride had some extremely nervous moments when the groom failed to materialize on cue; neither he nor the best man had heard the music they were supposed to come in on. They got it on the second playing of that particular song, though, and it all sounded seamless. On our "cue" song, the bride and I made our stately way up the aisle, me with a giant man's ring hidden on one thumb (lest I drop it), she with a bit of a quiver to her bouquet. When we got up to the groom, she whispered that he'd scared the daylights out of her--LOL! But everything went fine (although the giant ring had to go on his pinkie for now because his ring finger is even more giant).

After the wedding and lots of picture-taking, the wedding party headed home to change out of our monkey suits, then went back to the church for the tail-end of a Bible study class and the wedding reception afterward. Lots of people turned up, and a good time was had by all. Then the bride & groom headed off on their mini-honeymoon and I went back to their place in their other car to crash after all the excitement and sugar and waaaay too many people. I had a nice, relaxing night cat-sitting. I headed home about 11am the next day.

And now here I am raising an imaginary glass of champagne, wishing them all the luck in the world.  :)

Mission #2
On July 2nd, to my surprise and vast relief, I got an email from the debt consolidation company I signed up with five years ago saying that my June payment to them covered the LAST of my debt and, on top of that, I had a big fat refund check coming! No more huge drafts from my account! My money is mine again! Now I can hammer away at the debt that accumulated while I was forking out nearly half my income to pay off the big debt and had no savings--a much smaller debt that I should have paid off by May 2009. Then I'll be FREE!!!

By the way, in case you're considering letting a debt consolidation company clean up your mess for you, DON'T. Read my tale of woe first. If I had it to do over again (which I will never do), I'd control paying off my debt myself instead of delegating it to someone else. It'd be slow going, but at least it wouldn't wreck my credit rating.

No comments: