Sunday, April 20, 2008

Meeting report

Well, the meeting between my cat Minnie and my sister's cat Sammi didn't exactly go smoothly. I really thought the trouble would come from Minnie's side (after all, she's known as the "scrappin' cat" at my vet's office), but Sammi demonstrated a crabby nature hitherto unsuspected in a cat who, up to now, has seemed to be the most laid-back feline on the planet (except for Ragdolls). Every time Sammi saw Minnie in the house or one of the ferals outside, she'd thrash her tail & hiss & make that "scat or I'll shred you!" warning growl. We tried introducing our two girls through the door of my sister's room (usually my office), we tried introducing them with Sammi out in the living room in her carrier, we tried introducing them face-to-face 48 hours after Sammi had arrived....All a big no-go. We think Sammi was just stressed and insecure, but it does seem strange that she would so assiduously defend territory not her own. Even my friendliest feral cat, Leo, who is never allowed inside the house anymore, provoked Sammi's wrath when he came up to the screen door and peered in at her.

Poor Sammi--she was completely freaky by the time the last morning of her visit rolled around. My sister decided to book outta here ASAP in order to get Sammi back home.

The weird thing is, Minnie sat outside the office door several times while Sammi was shut in there and just purred her little heart out. I think she wanted to be friends! This is very unusual behavior for my scrappin' cat, but there you are. We had two oddball cats this weekend.

So the experiment failed, but at least there were no bloody fights--we just "rotated" the cats depending on when Minnie wanted out. If Minnie's outside, Sammi can have the run of the house; when Minnie wants in, Sammi has to go back in her room. It worked out fine, especially with Minnie wanting to soak up as much nice weather as possible this weekend. And now Sammi's gone back home, and Minnie's the queen of her castle again.

Anyway, my sister & I had fun, even if the cats didn't.  :)

No comments: