Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Walk it off

You know those Subway ads featuring Jared, the guy who lost a ton of weight eating healthy Subway sandwiches? What they don't mention anymore is that Jared walked to Subway & back twice a day, so it wasn't just the healthy sandwiches that did it--it was the physical activity, as well.

So I've got this long hallway at work & I've decided that I should (a) take my two allotted breaks every day instead of skipping them like I usually do and (b) walk the hallway during those breaks. Four circuits takes me 10 minutes, which sounds pretty good to me. It gets me a little winded & lets the flabby ol' heart do a little work for once. Plus it wakes me up & I feel better. If I can remember by the time I get home, I'll bring my little pedometer & see how many steps there are in four circuits of the hallway.

My diet (such as it is) also needs to change a bit (well, a bit more, since I'd already changed it to cut caffeine & lower salt because of Meniere's disease). I discovered recently that one of the foods I used to love--pepperoni pizza--I don't really like much anymore. It still tastes good, but I'm aware all the time I'm eating it how incredibly much salt & fat & other badness are in it. Hardly a recipe for a good time. So I don't need to be ordering pizzas anymore.

Strangely enough, I really do like steamed veggies, even though they're good for me.  :D  I don't have a lot of recipes I like yet, but I'll look into them more. And add more fish. And, somewhere, somehow, find a low-sodium recipe for pinto beans or lentils that'll give me a flavorful, high-fiber, easy side dish without taken for-frickin'-ever to cook. Tall order, that, but I'll work on it.

Wanna hear something scary? I'd like to lose 40 pounds. There--I said it. Don't know if I'll do it, but I'll work on that, too. Walking should help.

No comments: