Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Head music

While walking my laps at work this morning, a guy from another department passed me & said I needed an MP3 player to entertain me while I walk. At that very moment, I was in fact "listening" to "Jerusalem" ("And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's mountains green...")--but not on a gadget, just in my head. Who needs a gadget when you've had a lifetime to listen to great music & it's all stored up on your head to call upon whenever you like? Beethoven, Brahms, Shostakovich, Dvorak, Grieg, Ravel, Mahler, Phillip Glass, Laurie Anderson, Jean Pierre Rampal, Luciano Pavarotti, Montserrat Caballe, Metallica, the Beatles, the Alan Parsons Project, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Siouxsie and the Banshees; movie themes like "The Hunt for Red October," "Conan the Barbarian," "A Beautiful Mind," "Alexander Nevsky"; music from operas like "Turandot," "Carmen," "Madame Butterfly"; crazy stuff from Spike Jones, Tom Lehrer, Victor Borge (the Great Dane), and whoever wrote those nutty "Them" poems; musical numbers from "West Side Story," "Amahl and the Night Visitors," "Royal Wedding," "Singing in the Rain"; and more, more, more.

If I ever go deaf, I won't miss my music, that's for sure. And I don't need an MP3 player to enjoy it whenever I like.

No comments: